The Lloyd Library is a product of the work of three men, brothers, John Uri, Nelson Ashley, and Curtis Gates Lloyd. Tradition holds that the nucleus of the library can be found in the two books John Uri brought with him to Cincinnati in 1864 when he began his pharmacy apprenticeship at Gordon's Pharmacy. The two books were Edward Parrish's 1864 edition of A Treatise on Pharmacy and George Fownes' 1864 edition of A Manual of Elementary Chemistry, Theoretical and Practical.
John Uri was soon followed to Cincinnati by his two younger brothers, who also apprenticed as pharmacists. Eventually, the three brothers formed Lloyd Brothers, Pharmacists, Inc., and John Uri (1849-1936) became one of the most important pharmacists of his time. At the same time that the pharmaceutical company was growing, the library also grew. And, in 1919, trusts were established that would ensure the continued existence of the library long after the brothers were gone. Today, the library stands in nearly the same spot where it started over a century ago and continues to serve the needs of the scientific community, and many others, that it did back then.
Read more about the history of the library and the Lloyds: